05 April 2007

Lulu Sandwich :(




On the afternoon of 9 February 2007, Friday, I asked permission from my boss to leave the office early and replace our defective company coffeemaker at the nearest S&R (warehouse price club?) store. After he approved my undertime, I decided to have a cigarette with my office mate before taking off for the weekend. Little did I know that the events that would transpire after I extinguished that stick would change driving for me forever...

There I was taking my usual route from the office to the national road, entering the highway (northbound) then exiting at the interchange nearest the store and my home. I paid the toll fee with my E-pass (prepaid) and stopped at the first intersection en route to S&R, waiting for the light to turn green. I was immersed in thoughts of hanging out with my niece at home and the lyrics of "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News (It was playing on the radio). I remember sitting up straight and looking at an oncoming passenger jeepney in my rear view mirror. Then it hit me. No, the jeepney REALLY hit me. Well, Lulu :(

The driver was making a right turn but there wasn't enough space for him to complete it and (he claims) his brakes didn't work fast enough so he rammed into Lulu's right rear side. I felt myself roll forward and wasn't ready for what actually happened. I stepped out of the car and realized that Lulu's hood went under the truck in front of me while my hatch, right rear tail light and bumper were crumpled because of the jeepney's pipe fender. Words can't express the way Lulu looked (not so hot anymore) so just check out the photos.

It's been almost two months since that bummer afternoon. The truck driver in front of me suffered whiplash but just asked for a Php1K to straighten out the back of his truck, The jeepney driver and I went to the Police Station to file a report. Lulu is partially repaired. I'm planning to finish all the bodywork in May 2007 when I'm not too busy at work. Getting behind the wheel though brings about a different kind of adrenaline rush: I shudder now when I'm near a passenger jeepney, or a truck, or even a public bus.

I think I just like driving now. Hopefully I'll learn to love it again sometime soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Procops said...

poor lulu :(

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home