12 April 2006

Comic conversation

I'm supposed to be finalizing the Minutes of the previous meeting, but I needed a quick distraction so I surfed the net and found an article on Neil Gaiman (The Gamines Love Gaiman) at http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.04/posts.html?pg=6. This excerpt made me giddy and a bit reflective...

..."Then I have a question for you," says another member of the party, Mitch Cutler, owner of St. Marks Comics. Located just around the corner, it's one of the country's best independent comic book retail shops. "Who do you think the next generation of readers will be?"

This is what comics guys talk about over dinner: What happens when 14-year-old boys put down their tales of garishly clad, overmuscled men who like to bash robots? "I'm not sure," Gaiman says. "But I do know that when I got to Singapore to do a reading, there were 600 teenage girls waiting. And when I got to the Philippines, there were 2,000 teenage girls waiting, screaming my name."

Cutler nods. "That's it," he says. "It's girls between 13 and 25."...

No, I wasn't one of the 2K who saw Gaiman during his visit yet it's cool that our country made such an impact on his tour. I did give my older sister an essay I wrote on Stardust and let her line up for Mr. Gaiman's autograph. Hmmm, I must remember to frame that essay one of these days.

Anyway, have a meaningful Holy Week and enjoy a Happy Easter! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home