09 April 2007

A looonnnggg swim

I've been a member at a nearby Country Club for a little over a year now. One perk I maximize is to enjoy a swim anytime from 7am-9pm, seven days a week. Being a national athlete in a previous life (one international competition back in the 80's, heheh!) I decided to rebuild my endurance in the water. I remember back in April 2006 I was happy to finish 20 laps during one swimming session. I worked my way up to 40 laps. Then 60 laps. Eventually I got bored doing all those laps and turned to the gym for a healthy distraction.

Since it's Summer again, I went for a swim with a friend a couple of Sundays ago. For every four laps he'd do, I would finish eight to 12. Well, my goal was eight but I got carried away in mid-swim and had to do a few more laps to cool down. In a moment of silliness, I said my goal was to swim 100 laps. So my friend challenged to me to do so.

Almost two weeks later, I actually swam 100 laps in one session, wild! It wasn't as difficult as I had previously thought it would be. My major fear was to lose count but I just took note of every 100 meters (four laps). I also started a little late in the day (9:40am) so I ended a little before lunch (11:10am) and suffered a nasty case of sunstroke for the remainder of the weekend.

I now sport a deep orange glow (Shades of buttered pan de sal or fried chicken according to my former carpool mate). Nonetheless, I'm now ecstatic to do another 100 laps. As well as look for another healthy challenge to pursue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home